Traveling in today’s busy world has become more complicated and frustrating for many reasons including airport security procedures. What is tough about traveling is that it throws our whole schedule off. We have to wake up early, push through exhaustion and deal with crowded flights and unhappy travelers.
I personally love to travel. I don’t mind dealing with the airport security procedures or the weary travelers. Each trip is a new adventure!
Today, I headed off to the East Coast on an early morning flight and zipped right through security at 5am. I love those kind of travel mornings; however, these mornings tend to throw my whole schedule out of balance.
Even though traveling can be exhilarating and exhausting, it doesn’t have to throw us totally out of whack.
[Tweet “We must be diligent to maintain a healthy road schedule so we can take time to build relationships and foster creativity. – Dave Anthold”]
3 Simple Strategies…
When I travel I try to stick to these three simple strategies for maintaining my schedule.
- Go to bed early – traveling can be exhausting especially if you have meetings early the next day. Try to go to bed early the first night you arrive to help you get acclimated to the time change. This will allow your body a few extra hours of sleep and you will awake refreshed and ready for the day.
- Rise at your normal time – if you rise at 6am then rise at 6am regardless of the time zone. The extra sleep you get from the previous strategy will allow you to wake up on your normal schedule. If you do certain things in the morning, then this strategy will help you complete those things before you are off to your first meeting.
- Exercise – I have to admit that I am not always good at this strategy. Most of the hotels I stay at have great gyms and I often do not take advantage of them. Whether you are an early riser who likes to hit the gym before everyone else or burn off a little steam after your work day, then this strategy will help with both of the previous strategies. Exercise helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle, promotes creativity, helps you sleep better and relieves stress.
When traveling for business, our work schedule is often dictated by the people we will be meeting, the meetings we have and the work that must be accomplished.
Our work never takes a break, especially while we travel, but we must be diligent to maintain a healthy road schedule so we can take time to build relationships and foster creativity.
Uninterrupted Me Time
During my travel times, I have to two to four hours of uninterrupted time for me and the things I need or want to accomplish. I usually do a few of the following during my travel time:
- Write blog posts or newsletters
- Read or listen to a book
- Write cards or thank you notes
- Review my tasks / calendar items for the next few days
- Do my daily bible reading
- Rest / nap
- Watch a movie or TV show
- Watch a training course
It may look like I do a ton of stuff while airborne and the truth is, I do. This time is typically the most productive part of my trip and sets me up for success on many levels.
Traveling can be tough, but if you employ these three strategies you can have a more productive trip the next time you hit the road.
Question: What strategies do you use while traveling to maintain your normal schedule? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Don't Miss a Single Post!
Enter your email address to receive new content each week.