As I prep for my last speech in my communications, I decided to tackle "coaching". For 8 years, I coached girls cross country at LA Baptist High School and served as the field events coach during the track season with my speciality being the long & triple jump. It's been a long time since I dawned the "coaching" hat, but many thoughts constantly run thru my head and here is where they are taking me.
- What were your coaches like in elementary, jr/sr high, college, etc
- Goals are vital – realistic & dream – revisit them frequently for reinforcement
- Team – each group is unique – identify the patterns & strengths & how each can contribute
- Push & Rest – know when each is appropriate
- Creative – mix things up a bit
- Encourage, encourage, encourage
- Understand transition points
- Make it fun!
- Do your homework – scouting was always big for me & my teams knew their competition
- Train & Prepare
- Be inspirational
- Leave a legacy
- Be strategic
- Prep – its not always about right here, right now – sometimes its about visioning
- Response – good & bad times
As you can see, my working list is long – now I have to formulate my thoughts & pull it together so that it applies to life, business, & athletics.
Don't Miss a Single Post!
Enter your email address to receive new content each week.