Today’s Scripture – Read Proverbs 31:10-31
Changing course today, we look at Proverbs 31 and God’s direction for a wife. While in a Russia a couple of years ago, I stayed with my host family (Alexey & Katya Botnary) and it got me thinking that this might be a wonderful time to explore the virtues a potential wife should possess. It is one thing to go about life and date, but it is never to soon to be thinking about your future wife. Now, granted, you are in high school and the last thing you want to think about is a future mate. You say, Dave, I’m young I don’t have to start thinking about that for a long time; however, understanding what you desire in a future wife can begin long before you ever decide to get married. Perhaps I realize it now, more than ever, because of my age and stage in life.
What virtues should a good wife possess, let’s look at scripture:
• Her husband has full confidence in her (v. 11)
• She provides for the home (vs. 12-19, 21-22)
• She is considered about the poor or those in need (v. 20)
• She has dignity and does not disrespect her husband (v. 25)
• She speaks wisdom & instruction (v. 26)
• She watches over her husband and children (vs. 27-28)
• She is loved and respected by her family & husband (vs. 28-29)
• She fears the Lord (v. 30)
The most important thing in this passage is that she fears the Lord. Your future wife should love God with all her heart and she should be a woman of honor and dignity, and you as the husband, should love your wife as Christ loved the church (Eph. 5:25).
Application: What virtues do you want in a future wife and are you looking for any of those virtues in a girlfriend now?
Prayer: If you have a girlfriend, pray with her and pray for those virtues that you want in her. Praise the virtues you see in her right now and tell her that is what you like about her.
Don't Miss a Single Post!
Enter your email address to receive new content each week.